• Past week:
  • Hi:°
  • Lo:°

Weather

Currently:°F

Feels Like:°F

Staff Blogs

Of Crowns, Showsticks, and Greased Watermelons: Part 2

Besides sitting in the showring for all the livestock shows, I also had other duties. First and foremost, I had to get sundresses. Before July 22nd, I owned exactly one sundress, a white one not entirely befitting 10-hour stints at the dusty fairgrounds. So, after a meeting with all the other members of the court on Sunday afternoon, my mom and I took off for JCPenney’s and the mall, where I got lots of fluffy, floaty sundresses. Well, not lots. Enough to last me through the sheep and goat show, the youth halter lamb class, the beef show, the Pet and Hobby Parade, the swine show, the dairy show, the llama show, and the auction.

Even though I was only 3rd Runner Up, my sparkly crown and out-of-place dresses made me stand out, especially to little girls who would either stare or bluntly demand an autograph. One day, I went to get lunch at the beef tent with the 2nd Runner Up, Kathleen, and it was kind of awkward sitting in the crowded beef tent with little kids pointing at us. Don’t get me wrong, having 5-year-olds ask for photo ops is pretty awesome – but surreal.

Usually I get to the fair between 6 and 7 AM, so having to get there early to be at all the livestock shows wasn’t that big of a deal. Unfortunately, I couldn’t take naps like I usually do, so by Wednesday I was nodding off in between swine classes. Not cool.


ADVERTISEMENT

JOBS & CAREERS





jconline.com | weather | jobs | cars | homes | apartments | classifieds | shopping | dating

Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy (updated 6/7/2005).
Copyright © 2005, Federated Publications, Inc. A Gannett Site.

 Get RSS feeds of J&C headlines

Partners
Jobs: CareerBuilder.com | Cars: cars.com | Apartments: apartments.com | Shopping: ShopLocal.com

Gannett Indiana Network
Indianapolis | Fishers | Lafayette-West Lafayette | Marion | Muncie | Noblesville | Richmond