• Past week:
  • Hi:°
  • Lo:°

Weather

Currently:°F

Feels Like:°F

Staff Blogs

Of Crowns, Showsticks, and Greased Watermelons: Part 1

I can’t believe another fair week has come and gone. It’s even weirder to think it was my last as a 4-H member. Ten years of cattle and show days and ribeye steaks and greased watermelon contests are finally over.

The whole week was kind of surreal, mostly because I had a tiara on my head for most of it. On Saturday night I was crowned the 3rd Runner Up in the Tippecanoe County 4-H Fair Queen Contest. Enough capitalized words for you?

I’m not gonna lie, when I heard “Contestant number eleven” called for 3rd Runner Up, all I could think was, “Okay, so that means I have to stand up in this dress again. Please God, don’t let it rip, don’t let it rip…” Then, once I got the crown and the sash and the ginormous silver plate and the bouquet, I finally realized, “Woah. This is kind of awesome.”

Usually my fair week is consumed with taking care of my cattle. But because I had suddenly acquired “queenly duties,” I would have virtually no time to do chores in the Beef barn. Not to mention that I had finally decided to show swine in my 10th year – of course, OF COURSE, the year when I would have less time than ever to water and feed and wash.

Thankfully, I have a brother, a sister, and a dad who would be at the fair all day, too, so they graciously took care of my animals while I was kept busy handing out livestock ribbons in the coliseum.


ADVERTISEMENT

JOBS & CAREERS





jconline.com | weather | jobs | cars | homes | apartments | classifieds | shopping | dating

Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy (updated 6/7/2005).
Copyright © 2005, Federated Publications, Inc. A Gannett Site.

 Get RSS feeds of J&C headlines

Partners
Jobs: CareerBuilder.com | Cars: cars.com | Apartments: apartments.com | Shopping: ShopLocal.com

Gannett Indiana Network
Indianapolis | Fishers | Lafayette-West Lafayette | Marion | Muncie | Noblesville | Richmond