• Past week:
  • Hi:°
  • Lo:°

Weather

Currently:°F

Feels Like:°F

Staff Blogs

Mourning the bank account

Shopping

I have a love/hate relationship with shopping. I definitely like having what I need and want, but at the same time I absolutely detest parting with money.

I’ve spent more money this summer than I feel comfortable admitting. Notre Dame’s tuition is ridiculous as it is, but when you have to add up all the incidentals that are required for college life … it makes me queasy.

NOTRE DAME SURVIVAL KIT
1. Bedding set (sheets, pillow, pillowcase, comforter)
2. Bath set (soap, loofah, shampoo, conditioner, shower caddy, razors, toothpaste, toothbrush, Q-tips, makeup, contact solution, contacts)
3. Laptop
4. Graphing calculator
5. Laundry essentials (basket, detergent, fabric softener, not to mention the $1.25 for washes and $1.00 for drying each time)
6. Alarm clock
7. Hangers
8. Shoe organizer
9. Rainboots (for South Bend’s abundant precipitation)
10. Sweatshirt hoodies (for South Bend’s abundant freezing cold)
11. Complete Harry Potter series in paperback
12. Textbooks I’ve already found
13. Ramen noodles
14. Teddy bear The Boyfriend won for me at McCutcheon’s After-Prom
15. Easy Mac
16. Sanity

I’ve tried to catch all the sales and I’ve definitely saved a lot of money buying my textbooks online – but still! All my graduation gift money and well over half of what I’ve earned working two jobs this summer is wrapped up in school supplies and new clothes and cotton balls. I keep telling myself that a lot of what I’ve bought I’ll be using again my sophomore year, and that makes it a little better.

But if I’m freaking out about spending money now, I wonder if I’ll be able to handle mortgages and insurance payments and cable television fees and my college loans once I’m out in the real world. Now that really makes me shudder.


ADVERTISEMENT

JOBS & CAREERS





jconline.com | weather | jobs | cars | homes | apartments | classifieds | shopping | dating

Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy (updated 6/7/2005).
Copyright © 2005, Federated Publications, Inc. A Gannett Site.

 Get RSS feeds of J&C headlines

Partners
Jobs: CareerBuilder.com | Cars: cars.com | Apartments: apartments.com | Shopping: ShopLocal.com

Gannett Indiana Network
Indianapolis | Fishers | Lafayette-West Lafayette | Marion | Muncie | Noblesville | Richmond