• Past week:
  • Hi:°
  • Lo:°

Weather

Currently:°F

Feels Like:°F

Staff Blogs

Merlin's beard! Harry Potter's over?

Oh man, Harry Potter. Talk about your childhood memories. I’ve been diligently reading (and rereading) the Harry Potter books since the fourth grade, when I spent an entire Friday afternoon, evening, and early morning reading the first installment, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.

Since then, I have been devouring the new books and going through the earlier chapters to refresh my memory on J.K. Rowling’s ridiculously intricate plotting and development. I would stay up late on Potter fan websites, reading other readers’ theories about what might happen in the next books. I dragged my family to a screening of the movie A.I. – Artificial Intelligence (yes, the movie with the boy from The Sixth Sense as a robot with feelings) just so I could watch the preview trailer for the movie version of the first book. I plastered the walls of my basement with clippings from magazines and Internet printouts. I went to three midnight release parties at Barnes and Noble and ordered “butterbeer” (really sugary chai) from the Starbucks and dominated in trivia contests. One of my friends even hosts a podcast about Harry Potter, and I try to butt in every once in a while.

It’s become something of a cliché to say my generation has grown up with Harry Potter, but I sure do feel that way. I started reading the first book when I was 10, a year younger than the character of Harry in Sorcerer’s Stone. I finished the final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (in which Harry is 17), a month after my 19th birthday.

At the same time, however, I’m not too worried about outgrowing Harry like I outgrew American Girl dolls and Power Rangers and Beanie Babies. Even after finishing the last book I am itching to start back at the beginning – I don’t know if I’ll ever get sick of the story.

Every new book was shrouded in publisher-upheld mystery, but the moment I cracked open the binding it was like I was settling down to catch up with an old friend – just the right mix of awestruck epic and deliciously familiar.


ADVERTISEMENT

JOBS & CAREERS





jconline.com | weather | jobs | cars | homes | apartments | classifieds | shopping | dating

Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy (updated 6/7/2005).
Copyright © 2005, Federated Publications, Inc. A Gannett Site.

 Get RSS feeds of J&C headlines

Partners
Jobs: CareerBuilder.com | Cars: cars.com | Apartments: apartments.com | Shopping: ShopLocal.com

Gannett Indiana Network
Indianapolis | Fishers | Lafayette-West Lafayette | Marion | Muncie | Noblesville | Richmond