• Past week:
  • Hi:°
  • Lo:°

Weather

Currently:°F

Feels Like:°F

Staff Blogs

Jam-packed.

Packing.

It’s not pretty. For the majority of this summer (ever since my graduation party, actually), the couch in our basement was occupied by Things Jordan is Taking to School - So Don’t Touch, Thanks. Baskets filled with laundry detergent, duffel bags stuffed with books, and cardboard boxes from the bedding company. It didn’t make any sense to put those things away somewhere else in the house when I’d just need to haul them back out again in a few weeks.

While the office supplies and kitchen utensils were organized and packed pretty much when I got them, clothes were another story. I went through all of my drawers and the closet I share with my sister, and the first thing I did was to sort out everything I could possibly sell or just plain get rid of. Then I went through again and picked out what clothes I was actually going to take with me. Now, the boys I know who have gone off to college fit all their clothes into one piece of carry-on luggage. Me? I got all of my wardrobe crammed into one suitcase. A suitcase so big it’s not even allowed on planes anymore, and I still had a formal dress and shirts on hangers and not to mention my shoes. I have never felt so high-maintenance in my entire life.

Finally, finally, about two days before move-in day at Notre Dame, I had everything packed. Then came the hard part – fitting it all in the minivan. It took some strategic assembling, a lot of sweating in the 90 degree heat, and quite a lot of exasperated sighing, but with my dad and brother’s help I got all my junk in the vehicle.

One piece of advice for any future dorm-movers: get boxes. I didn’t have any of those handy cardboard storage boxes, and I really wish I would have. Shopping bags from the mall don’t stack well and their contents tend to shift and spill.


ADVERTISEMENT

JOBS & CAREERS





jconline.com | weather | jobs | cars | homes | apartments | classifieds | shopping | dating

Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy (updated 6/7/2005).
Copyright © 2005, Federated Publications, Inc. A Gannett Site.

 Get RSS feeds of J&C headlines

Partners
Jobs: CareerBuilder.com | Cars: cars.com | Apartments: apartments.com | Shopping: ShopLocal.com

Gannett Indiana Network
Indianapolis | Fishers | Lafayette-West Lafayette | Marion | Muncie | Noblesville | Richmond