• Past week:
  • Hi:°
  • Lo:°

Weather

Currently:°F

Feels Like:°F

Staff Blogs

Facing the hard truth about time management

Ugh. I cannot believe summer is almost over. I go to school in a month! It just seems like the more I do the less I savor time. I don’t like complaining at the injustice at the universe, but come on! Can’t someone just slow it all down? My summer so far has been consumed with work, 4-H, a road trip, obsessively organizing for college, and trying very hard to see my friends before we all split up and go our separate ways.

Mostly, I’m overwhelmed by everything I want to do, not everything I’ve done. I’ve never been so few days away from the 4-H fair and felt so inadequately prepared – not even the year I was in Russia for the whole of June. It’s been three and four weeks since I’ve some of my closest friends simply because I’ve been so busy or so freaking exhausted. Complaining is tedious and sad, but I would very much like to complain until I turn blue – too bad it doesn’t do much to help my time management skills.

I guess I’ll have to get used to this feeling of time slipping through my fingers – my mom continues to remind me that I’m going to have ungodly amounts of work to do at Notre Dame. Thankfully, I won’t have to do any frightening intense three-hour chemistry labs. Why, you ask? Because students majoring in the College of Arts and Letters (or as most Notre Dame students call it, the College of Arts and Leisure, or Artsy-Fartsy, or many other things I don’t think are appropriate for this blog) only have to take “topical” science classes. Because I am neither a raving lunatic nor particularly adept at chemical titrations, I jumped on this opportunity to study science but in a very language-artsy kind of way. The topical science classes focus more on the ethical, environmental, or historical impacts of science than the actual experimental implementation of it.

Basically, what I’m saying is, I’ll be doing a lot of reading, discussing, writing, and thinking next year in place of mixing acids and bases or blowing up stuff. I’m not too bad at reading, discussing writing, or thinking, you know. I can ramble on here for paragraphs and paragraphs! I can talk on the phone! I can decide what shoes to wear in the morning!

Now, if I can only apply those skills to my freshman seminar …


ADVERTISEMENT

JOBS & CAREERS





jconline.com | weather | jobs | cars | homes | apartments | classifieds | shopping | dating

Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy (updated 6/7/2005).
Copyright © 2005, Federated Publications, Inc. A Gannett Site.

 Get RSS feeds of J&C headlines

Partners
Jobs: CareerBuilder.com | Cars: cars.com | Apartments: apartments.com | Shopping: ShopLocal.com

Gannett Indiana Network
Indianapolis | Fishers | Lafayette-West Lafayette | Marion | Muncie | Noblesville | Richmond