• Past week:
  • Hi:°
  • Lo:°

Weather

Currently:°F

Feels Like:°F

Staff Blogs

The Magic of a MacBook

Okay, so there's this certain item. It's white, but not shiny, more pearly. It almost glows. It's very thin. It holds virtually everything amazing ever. What is it?


A MacBook.


This morning, right as I was finishing up 4-H chores, I saw my knight in shiny armor - or at least in a glinting FedEx truck. I virtually skipped from the barn to the end of the driveway, scribbled my signature, and then held in my hands the beautiful cardboard box from Apple.


I came in the house, deftly slit open the packing tape, and gingerly pulled out the box containing the computer and all its paraphernalia. Even the box was indecently spiffy: all the pieces fit in their own little Styrofoam compartment in the briefcase-sized box. It just makes me want to hug all those aesthetics-obsessed designers at Apple. I'm such a nerd for things like packaging and color-coordination. Jeez, you'd think I only got this laptop for it's shipping material, wouldn't you?


Well, in actually, getting a laptop is a right of passage for teenagers going into college. Not only is it a lot of money spent, it's also a lot of responsibility. Now I have to consciously be aware I am lugging around one piece of equipment that will be indispensable next year. I have to use it to check my assignments, my email, my Facebook. I have to write essays and research topics using the internet.


My boyfriend also got a Mac, so he's kind of helping me figure out how to work it - we both had access to Macs in our journalism class the last two years, but he definitely has more experience with them that me. Take, for instance, right-clicking. Right-clicking is not really normal on a Mac. So I had to reprogram the touchpad on the laptop so I could access the little menu that pops up when you right-click.


But, then, of course, there's some fun stuff involved, too. Already I've loaded the hard-drive with about 28 hours worth of iTunes, transferred all my pictures so I can have a screensaver of my prom snapshots, and watched several DVDs with the help of the remote that came with the laptop. Yes. That's right. A remote control for a computer.

Is that not fantastic?


ADVERTISEMENT

JOBS & CAREERS





jconline.com | weather | jobs | cars | homes | apartments | classifieds | shopping | dating

Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy (updated 6/7/2005).
Copyright © 2005, Federated Publications, Inc. A Gannett Site.

 Get RSS feeds of J&C headlines

Partners
Jobs: CareerBuilder.com | Cars: cars.com | Apartments: apartments.com | Shopping: ShopLocal.com

Gannett Indiana Network
Indianapolis | Fishers | Lafayette-West Lafayette | Marion | Muncie | Noblesville | Richmond